- “Academy Connect Site” – Shall refer to the website available at the domain name www.academyconnect.com.
- “Content” – Any and all text, images, photos, audio, video, and all other forms of data or communication contained on the Academy Connect Site.
- “Employer” – Any User accessing, browsing or in anyway using the Academy Connect Site representing a business interesting in employing one or more Graduates.
- “Employer Profile” – User Profile created by an Employer for the purpose of accessing certain features of the Academy Connect Site.
- “Feedback” – Any and all ideas, suggestions, documents, or proposals submitted to The Sterling Group for purposes of improving the Academy Connect Site.
- “Financial Information” – Information required in order to submit payments associated with the creation and renewal of a User Profile, including but not necessarily limited to credit card information and billing address.
- The United States Military Academy (USMA) in West Point, New York.
- The United States Naval Academy (USNA) in Annapolis, Maryland.
- The United States Coast Guard Academy (USCGA) in New London, Connecticut.
- The United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) in Kings Point, New York.
- The United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) in Colorado Springs, Colorado“Graduate” – Any User accessing, browsing or in anyway using the Academy Connect Site that has graduated from one of the following institutions:
- “Graduate Profile” – User Profile created by a Graduate for the purpose of accessing certain features of the Academy Connect Site.
- “Personal Information” – Any and all information about a User that makes the User personally identifiable, including name, address, email address, and phone number.
- “Professional Information” – Any and all information about a User relative to his or her education and professional experience, including degrees earned and job history.
- “The Sterling Group” – The Sterling Group shall refer to The Sterling Executive Recruiting Group, LLC, a limited liability company organized under the laws of North Carolina, as well as to its current or future parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, licensors, partners, and the officers, directors, employees, agents, and representatives of each.
- “Third-Party” – Collectively refers to all parties other than The Sterling Group and its Users.
- “Third-Party Content” – Content made available on the Academy Connect Site by parties other than The Sterling Group or Users, including but not necessarily limited to data submitted by advertisers.
- “User Profile” – Collectively refers to both Employer Profiles and Graduate Profiles.
- The Sterling Group is not responsible for the practices of any Third-Party websites or the nature of Third-Party Content, including advertisements that may be placed on the Academy Connect Site.
Policy regarding use of the Academy Connect Site by minors.
- The Academy Connect Site is not directed to people under the age of 18, and The Sterling Group does not knowingly collect any information from people under the age of 18. Minors may not create a User Profile.
- The Sterling Group reserves the right to add special protections for minors and to place restrictions on the ability of adults to share and connect with minors.
- Information that The Sterling Group may collect when you create or update an Employer Profile:
- Company name
- Company description
- Company website
- Company representative and related contact information, including but not necessarily limited to name, title, email address, mailing address and/or telephone number (information related to any company representative(s) will not be available to other Users on the Academy Connect Site).
- Certain additional information that The Sterling Group may find relevant.
- Information provided relative to an Employer Profile may be corrected or updated by logging into your Employer Profile and choosing the “My Profile” link.
- An Employer must select a unique username and a password for use in accessing its Employer Profile.
- The Sterling Group may use information about you that it receives from other Users to supplement your Employer Profile (such as when you are mentioned in a discussion board or in an employee testimonial). The Sterling Group generally gives you the ability to remove the content or limit its visibility on your Employer Profile.
- Even after you remove information from your Employer Profile or delete your Employer Profile all together, copies of your information may remain viewable elsewhere to the extent it has been shared with others, it was otherwise distributed pursuant to your privacy settings, or it was copied or stored by other Users.
- Information that The Sterling Group may collect when you create or update a Graduate Profile:
- First and last name
- Physical address
- Email address
- Phone number, including area code
- Professional information, including but not necessarily limited to the military academy that you attended, year of graduation, military status and current employment status
- Certain additional information that The Sterling Group may find relevant.
- Information provided relative to a Graduate Profile may be corrected or updated by logging into your Graduate Profile and choosing the “My Profile” link.
- Graduates must select a unique username and a password for use in accessing their Graduate Profiles.
- The Sterling Group gives you the opportunity create privacy settings for your Graduate Profile. Through these settings, you can make your Graduate Profile either (1) available only to other Graduates or (2) available to both Graduates and Employers.
- The Sterling Group may use information about you that it receives from other Users to supplement your Graduate Profile (such as when you are mentioned in a discussion board). The Sterling Group generally gives you the ability to remove the content or limit its visibility on your Graduate Profile.
- Even after you remove information from your Graduate Profile or delete your Graduate Profile all together, copies of your information may remain viewable elsewhere to the extent it has been shared with others, it was otherwise distributed pursuant to your privacy settings, or it was copied or stored by other Users.
- Graduates with a valid Graduate Profile may create and/or post a resume on the Academy Connect Site.
- Resumes may be made available to Employers in one of two ways. First, you may submit your resume in response to a specific job posted by an Employer. Second, by customizing your privacy settings, you can allow your resume to be entered into a searchable database, which can be accessed by all Employers.
- If you apply for a job through the Academy Connect Site, your resume will be transferred to the relevant Employer, who may retain a copy of your resume or distribute it to third parties. The Sterling Group cannot control their use or retention of your resume information.
- By customizing your profile settings, you may make your resume “confidential” or “non-confidential.”
- “Non-confidential” resumes display Personal Information associated with your resume, including address, email address, etc.
- “Confidential” resumes hide much of a User’s Personal Information. Your City and State are displayed, but contact information (e.g., address, email address, etc.) can only be released by the Graduate to an individual Employer (via email, fax, direct mail or verbal submission or communication).
- By making your resume searchable, you are expressly consenting to the transfer of your resume to any and all Employers that may request it.
- The Sterling Group attempts to limit access to its searchable resume database to legitimate employers searching for employees on the Academy Connect Site. The Sterling Group cannot, however, control the use made of resumes by parties who access such resumes while they are in our searchable database.
- You may remove your resume from the searchable database at any time by revising your “My Profile” settings. However, Employers who have been authorized to access to that database, as well as parties who may have otherwise gained access to the database, may have retained a copy of your resume in their own files or databases. The Sterling Group cannot control the retention, use or privacy of resumes or profiles that have been downloaded by others.
- If you provide The Sterling Group with details of a reference, including but not limited to details that make that reference personally identifiable, it is your responsibility to ensure that the person is aware that you have forwarded his/her details and has consented in writing for you to do so.
Discontinuing use of Graduate Profiles.
- If you want to stop using your Graduate Profile you may deactivate it or cancel it.
- Deactivating a Graduate Profile. When you deactivate a Graduate Profile, no User will be able to see it, but it will not be deleted. The Sterling Group saves your Graduate Profile information in case you later decide to reactivate your membership. You will still have the ability to reactivate your Graduate Profile and restore your Graduate Profile in its entirety. You may deactivate your Graduate Profile on your profile settings page.
- Cancelling a Graduate Profile. When you cancel a Graduate Profile, it is permanently deleted from the Academy Connect Site. You should only cancel your Graduate Profile if you are certain you never want to reactivate it. You may cancel your Graduate Profile on your profile settings page. The Sterling Group may retain certain information to prevent identity theft and other misconduct even if cancellation has been requested. Furthermore, if you have given Users and/or Third-Parties access to your information, they may retain this information. However, they will no longer be able to access the information through the Academy Connect Site.
Submitting content on the Academy Connect Site.
- You may contribute content that is available to Users of the Academy Connect Site in a number of ways, including but not limited to contributing to online discussion boards and job boards (collectively hereinafter referred to as “Public Content”).
- Public Content submitted by Users will be accompanied by the User’s username and may be available to Users regardless of your privacy settings.
- The Sterling Group is not responsible for the information you choose to make public, and your contributions may remain on the Academy Connect Site, even if you delete your User Profile. Please note that if you include Personal Information in Public Content, it will be available to others.
- Depending on your privacy settings, when you post Public Content on the Academy Connect Site, information contained in your User Profile, including Personal Information, may be accessible to others.
- Users may flag any User submitted material that they believe is inappropriate to The Sterling Group by submitting Feedback or otherwise contacting The Sterling Group. The Sterling Group may, in its sole discretion, decide to display, modify, or delete this material. Views expressed in User submitted material do not reflect the views of The Sterling Group.
- You understand that information that you submit to the Academy Connect Site might be re-shared or copied by other users.
- The Sterling Group does not claim ownership of User submitted Public Content. However, to enable The Sterling Group to use and display Public Content, you grant The Sterling Group a transferable, sublicenceable, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive right and license to commercially and publicly use, display, publish, perform, reproduce, copy, distribute, transmit, alter, make derivatives of, transfer, license, market, sell, and otherwise exploit any of your submitted Public Content.
Information received by The Sterling Group and how The Sterling Group uses that information.
- The Sterling Group allows other Users to use information they have about you, such as your email address, to find you, including through contact importers and search.
- Users may have the option to invite associates to use the Academy Connect Site by providing contact information, including name and email address. The Sterling Group may store and use your associate’s contact information to invite them to create a User Profile. Assuming this service is offered, your associates will be able to “opt-out” of receiving further emails from The Sterling Group.
- The Sterling Group may keep track of some of the actions you take on the Academy Connect Site, such as adding or revising profile information.
- When you access the Academy Connect Site from a computer, mobile phone, or other device, The Sterling Group may collect information from that device about your browser type, location, and IP address, as well as the pages you visit.
- The Sterling Group may share aggregated information with Third-Parties to help improve or promote the Academy Connect Site. No Personal Information is revealed in this aggregated information.
- Removed and deleted information may persist in backup copies for up to 90 days, but will not be available to others.
- Financial Information submitted in creating and/or renewing a User Profile may be stored by The Sterling Group and may be provided to financial-services corporations such as credit-card processors and issuersin order to collect and process payments.
- Administrators of the Academy Connect Site and/or companies hired by The Sterling Group to perform technical/customer support may have access to information stored by The Sterling Group, including but not limited to Personal Information and/or Financial Information. Any such administrators and/or support personnel will be bound by a confidentiality agreement prior to having access to this information.
- The Sterling Group reserves the right to send certain communications relating to the Academy Connect Site to the email address associated with your User Profile. You may opt out of all communications except updates essential to your User Profile. The Sterling Group may include content you see on the Academy Connect Site in emails that it sends to you.
Cookies, web beacons and clear GIFs.
- Like many sites, the Academy Connect Site may employ cookies and web beacons (also known as clear GIF technology or “action tags”) to speed your navigation of the Academy Connect Site, recognize Users, and track your usage of the Academy Connect Site. Cookies are small pieces of alphanumeric information that are stored as text files by your Internet browser on your computer’s hard drive. Web beacons assist in delivering cookies and help The Sterling Group determine whether a web page on the Academy Connect Site has been viewed and, if so, how many times.
- Cookies controlled by The Sterling Group are not “spyware” and cannot infiltrate a User’s hard drive to access a User’s confidential information.
Information storage and security.
- The Sterling Group has physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations and industry standards to protect Users’ information.
- The Sterling Group keeps information associated with your User Profile on a secured server behind a firewall. The Sterling Group may also use automated and social measures to enhance security, such as analyzing account behavior for fraudulent or otherwise anomalous behavior.
- No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. As a result, while The Sterling Group strives to use all reasonable methods to protect your information, it cannot provide a guarantee with regard to its absolute security. The Sterling Group cannot control the actions of other Users with whom you share your information. The Sterling Group cannot guarantee that only authorized persons will view your information. The Sterling Group cannot ensure that information you share on the Academy Connect Site will not become publicly available. The Sterling Group is not responsible for third-party circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures on the Academy Connect Site. You can reduce these risks by using common sense security practices such as choosing a strong password, using different passwords for different services, and using up to date antivirus software.
- You should report any security violations to The Sterling Group at the following help page.