- “Academy Connect Content” – Content created and made available on the Academy Connect Site by The Sterling Group or its representatives.
- “Academy Connect Site” – Shall refer to the website available at the domain name https://www.academyconnect.comas well as any other of The Sterling Group’s websites, products, services and content thereon.
- “Content” – Any and all text, images, photos, audio, video, and all other forms of data or communication contained on the Academy Connect Site.
- “Employer” – Any User accessing, browsing or in anyway using the Academy Connect Site representing an entity interesting in employing one or more Graduates.
- “Employer Profile” – User Profile created by an Employer for the purpose of accessing certain features of the Academy Connect Site.
- “Feedback” – Any and all ideas, suggestions, documents, or proposals submitted to The Sterling Group for purposes of improving the Academy Connect Site.
- “Financial Information” – Information required in order to submit payments associated with the creation and renewal of a User Profile, including but not necessarily limited to credit card information and billing address.
- “Graduate” – Any User accessing, browsing or in anyway using the Academy Connect Site that has graduated from one of the following institutions:
- The United States Military Academy (USMA) in West Point, New York.
- The United States Naval Academy (USNA) in Annapolis, Maryland.
- The United States Coast Guard Academy (USCGA) in New London, Connecticut.
- The United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) in Kings Point, New York.
- The United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- “Graduate Profile” – User Profile created by a Graduate for the purpose of accessing certain features of the Academy Connect Site.
- “Personal Information” – Any and all information about a User that makes the User personally identifiable, including name, physical address, email address, and phone number.
- “Professional Information” – Any and all information about a User relative to his or her education and professional experience, including degrees earned and job history.
- “The Sterling Group” – The Sterling Group shall refer to The Sterling Executive Recruiting Group, LLC, a limited liability company organized under the laws of North Carolina, as well as to its current or future parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, licensors, partners, and the officers, directors, employees, agents, and representatives of each.
- “Third-Party” – Collectively refers to all parties other than The Sterling Group and its Users.
- “Third-Party Content” – Content made available on the Academy Connect Site by parties other than The Sterling Group or Users, including but not necessarily limited to data submitted by advertisers.
- “User Content” – Any and all content submitted by a User through the Academy Connect Site, excluding information requested by The Sterling Group for creating a User Profile that is not displayed in connection with that User Profile.
- “User Profile” – Collectively refers to both Employer Profiles and Graduate Profiles.
- The Sterling Group may offer other services that are governed by additional or different terms.
Academy Connect Site Material
- The Academy Connect Site may contain Content that you find offensive, indecent, inaccurate, or otherwise objectionable. The Sterling Group does not endorse such Content and cannot vouch for the accuracy of Content on the Academy Connect Site. Consequently, you access and use the Academy Connect Site at your own risk.
- The Sterling Group may display advertisements and other information adjacent to or included with your Content on the Academy Connect Site. You are not entitled to any compensation for such advertisements. The manner, mode, and extent of displaying such advertisements are subject to change without specific notice.
Graduates and Graduate Profiles
- Graduate Profiles will require a Graduate selected password. You will be responsible for the maintenance and confidentiality of your password. You agree to notify The Sterling Group immediately of any unauthorized use of your Graduate Profile.
- All Graduate Profile memberships will automatically renew to preserve continuity. Any and all discounted memberships will be renewed automatically at the regular membership rate at the end of the discounted membership term. The Sterling Group reserves the right to modify its membership pricing at any time upon advance notice to you. If you have not deactivated or cancelled your membership within the specified time after receiving notice of a price change, membership subscriptions will be renewed at the new price.
- The Sterling Group may, in conjunction with the initial launch of the Academy Connect Site, offer free Graduate Profile membership for a limited promotional period. Upon the expiration of any such promotion, users that have created a Graduate Profile will be asked if they wish to continue their membership by submitting Financial Information and agreeing to standard membership rates and conditions.
- Free trials of Graduate Profile membership are given at the sole discretion of The Sterling Group and imply no obligation to purchase services once the trial is complete. All free trial Graduate Profile memberships will terminate automatically on the day following the trial duration. Any data stored or saved during the trial will not be available after the free trial membership is terminated.
- The Sterling Group reserves the right to terminate your Graduate Profile at any time for any or no reason and without advance notice.
Employers and Employer Profiles
- Employers with a valid Employer Profile may, subject to individually negotiated terms, be entitled to (1) search the resume database on the Academy Connect Site and/or (2) create job postings for review by Graduates. Employers must comply with all federal, state and local laws when creating job postings and searching for employees. To help ensure such compliance, Employers may not condition employment or otherwise discriminate among Graduates based on (1) race, (2) color, (3) national origin, (4) sex, (5) religion, (6) age or (7) disability.
- Employers may not engage in the following activities:
- Post jobs or content on the Academy Connect Site that contain hyperlinks, “hidden” keywords or keywords that are irrelevant to the job or are otherwise misleading;
- Use the resume database for any purpose other than as an employer seeking employees, including but not limited to using the information in the database to sell or promote any products or services;
- Post on the Academy Connect Site any franchise, pyramid scheme, “club membership,” distributorship or sales representative agency arrangement or other business opportunity that requires an upfront or periodic payment, pays commissions only, or requires recruitment of other members, sub-distributors or sub-agents;
- Send unsolicited mail or email, make unsolicited telephone calls or send unsolicited faxes regarding promotions and/or advertising of products or services to other Users;
- The Academy Connect Site serves, in part, as a venue for Employers to post job opportunities and search for job candidates, and for Graduates to post resumes and search for jobs. The Sterling Group is not involved in the actual creation of an employment relationship between Employers and Graduates. The Sterling Group cannot guarantee the accuracy, quality, safety or legality of the jobs or resumes posted, the truth or accuracy of the listings, the ability of Employers to offer job opportunities to candidates or the ability of candidates to fill job openings.
- Should you choose to seek employment using the Academy Connect Site, you represent, warrant and covenant that you will not post any incomplete, false or inaccurate information, including but not limited to Personal Information and Professional Information.
- The Sterling Group shall not be responsible for any employment decisions, for whatever reason, made by any entity in connection with jobs posted on or through the Academy Connect Site.
- Through the various methods of communication available on the Academy Connect Site, including but not limited to employment interviews and communications made between Users, Users may choose to arrange for physical meetings. The Sterling Group does not in any way supervise any such meetings and has no control over the identity or action of the individuals who are present at such meetings. The Sterling Group stresses that all Users should exercise caution and good judgment when attending any live meeting.
- Inasmuch as The Sterling Group does not supervise or control any live interaction arranged between Users and/or Third-Parties, is not involved in any way with physical transportation to or from any such meetings or with the actions of any individuals at the meetings, and cannot guarantee the true identity or age of any Users and/or Third-Parties, you agree that you bear all risk and agree to release The Sterling Groupfrom any and all liability arising out of or in any way connected with your decision to participate in in-person meetings with other Users or anyone introduced to you through the Academy Connect Site. You further waive any and all rights and benefits otherwise conferred by any statutory or non-statutory law of any jurisdiction that would purport to limit the scope of such a release or waiver.
- You are solely responsible for your interactions with other Users. The Sterling Group reserves the right, but has no obligation, to monitor disputes between you and other Users.
Restrictions on Use.
You represent and warrant that you will not engage in the following behavior or assist others in doing so:
- upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, pornographic, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable;
- use the Academy Connect Site to promote bigotry or discrimination against protected classes;
- use the Academy Connect Site to threaten, stalk, defraud, incite, harass, or advocate the harassment of another person, or otherwise interfere with another User’s use of the Academy Connect Site;
- use the Academy Connect Site to solicit personal information from minors or to harm or threaten to cause harm to minors in any way;
- impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, an employee or representative of The Sterling Group, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- collect or store information about other Users without their informed consent;
- forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of User Content;
- access, retrieve, or index the Academy Connect Site for purposes of constructing or populating a searchable database, including but not limited to a searchable database of employment listings or job applicants, except as expressly authorized by The Sterling Group;
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, contests, surveys, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any other form of mass messaging solicitation;
- use the Academy Connect Site for promotional or commercial purposes, except as expressly allowed in writing by The Sterling Group;
- use the Academy Connect Site for keyword spamming or to otherwise attempt to manipulate natural search results;
- upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any Content that violates any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, moral right, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right of any party;
- upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any Content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- modify, adapt, appropriate, reproduce, distribute, translate, create derivative works or adaptations of, publicly display, sell, trade, or in any way exploit the Academy Connect Site or its Content (other than your User Content), except as expressly authorized by The Sterling Group;
- reverse engineer any portion of the Academy Connect Site;
- remove or modify any patent, trademark, copyright, or other proprietary rights notice on the Academy Connect Site or on any materials printed or reproduced from the Academy Connect Site;
- use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other automated device, process or means to access, retrieve, scrape, or index the Academy Connect Site, except as expressly authorized by The Sterling Group;
- offer any contest, giveaway, or sweepstakes on the Academy Connect Sitewithout The Sterling Group’s prior written consent; or
- You represent that you own, or have the necessary permissions to use, and authorize the use of, your User Content as described herein.
- User content is not in any way sponsored or endorsed by The Sterling Group. Consequently, you may not post any User Content that states or implies such a sponsorship or endorsement.
- The Sterling Group may use User Content in a number of different ways, including displaying it on the Academy Connect Site, reformatting it, incorporating it into advertisements and other works, creating derivative works from it, promoting it, distributing it, and allowing others to do the same in connection with their own websites and media platforms;
- you hereby irrevocably grant to The Sterling Group permission to use your User Content for any purpose, and you grant to The Sterling Group a transferable, sublicenceable, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive right and license to commercially and publicly use, copyright, display, publish, perform, reproduce, copy, distribute, transmit, alter, make derivatives of, transfer, license, market, sell, and otherwise exploit your User Content;
- you unconditionally waive any and all moral rights and non-assignable rights relating to your User Content, including regarding attribution or identification of authorship, integrity, reversion, approval, consent, restriction or limitation on use or subsequent modifications, operation, maintenance, alteration, disassembly, distortion, mutilation, removal, or destruction, including any claims or liability relating to the foregoing.
- You are solely responsible for and assume all risks associated with any Content that you contribute or that is contributed under your User Profile to the Academy Connect Site. As part of this responsibility, you assume all risks associated with any third-party’s reliance on your submitted Content’s accuracy completeness, or usefulness. Further, you assume all risks associated with Content that you submit which may make you personally identifiable to third-parties.
- You may expose yourself to liability if your submitted User Content or Content submitted under your User Profile (1) violates any third-party right, including any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, moral right, privacy right, right of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right; (2) contains material that is false, intentionally misleading, or defamatory; (3) contains material that is unlawful, including illegal hate speech or pornography; (4) exploits or otherwise harms minors; or (5) violates or advocates the violation of any law or regulation.
- The Sterling Group may remove or reinstate User Content from time to time at its sole discretion. The Sterling Group is under no obligation to retain your User Content or to provide you with copies of your User Content.
- The Sterling Group does not guarantee User confidentiality with respect to User Content.
- When you delete your User content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. You understand that such content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
Academy Connect Content
- All Academy Connect Content, including but not limited to visual interfaces, interactive features, graphics, design, compilation, computer code, products and software, is the sole property of The Sterling Group.
- The Sterling Group also owns or has rights to use the patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, and other intellectual property or proprietary rights throughout the world associated with Academy Connect Content and the Academy Connect Site. These rights are protected by applicable intellectual and proprietary laws. Consequently, you may not modify, reproduce, distribute, create derivative works or adaptations of, publicly display, or in any way exploit any of the Academy Connect Content except as expressly authorized by The Sterling Group.
- Except as expressly and unambiguously provided herein, The Sterling Group does not grant you any express or implied rights, and all rights in and to the Academy Connect Site and the Academy Connect Content are retained by The Sterling Group.
- ACADEMY CONNECT and THE STERLING GROUP are proprietary service marks of The Sterling Group.
- The Academy Connect Site may include links to other websites. If you decide to access linked Third-Party websites, you do so at your own risk.
- The Academy Connect Site may include products and/or services offered by Third-Parties. All Third-Party products and/or services must be ordered directly from such Third-Parties or their representatives and all licenses and warranties relating to such Third-Party products and/or services, if any, are between you and such Third-Party. The Sterling Group is not responsible for the contents of any Third-Party products and/or services and makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, regarding the content or accuracy of materials, data, or workmanship contained in any such products and/or services.
Intellectual Property Infringement Policy
- The Sterling Group takes intellectual property matters seriously. If you believe that your copyrighted material has been copied in a way that constitutes infringement or that your intellectual property rights have been violated in any other way, please notify The Sterling Group’s agent for notice of claims of intellectual property infringement (“The Sterling Group’s Agent”). The Sterling Group’s Agent may be contacted at email address or at:
- 348A Raleigh Street
- Holly Springs, NC
- Due to security concerns, The Sterling Group cannot accept email attachments. Consequently, if you submit material via email, please include all information in the body of the email and not as an attachment.
- When contacting The Sterling Group’s Agent, please provide a written submission that includes all of the following information (the “Notice”):
- An identification of the copyrighted work (or other intellectual property) that you claim is being infringed, or, if you believe multiple works are being infringed, a representative list of such works;
- a description of where the material at issue can be found at the Academy Connect Site (if possible, please provide a specific URL);
- your physical mailing address, telephone number and email address;
- a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the use of the disputed copyrighted work (or other intellectual property) is not authorized by the owner, its agent, or the law;
- a statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed; and
- your physical or electronic signature.
- The Sterling Group will remove any infringing material subject to the procedures outlined in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
Academy Connect Site Availability
- The Sterling Group reserves the right to modify, update, or discontinue the Academy Connect Site at its sole discretion, at any time, for any or no reason, and without notice or liability.
- The Sterling Group reserves the right to exercise whatever lawful means The Sterling Group deems necessary to prevent unauthorized access to or use of the Academy Connect Site, including, but not limited to, technological barriers, IP mapping, and contacting your Internet Service Provider regarding such unauthorized use.
- If you would like to send Feedback to The Sterling Group, you may do so here. By sending Feedback to The Sterling Group, you (1) submit and warrant that your Feedback does not contain information that is subject to a confidentiality agreement or the property of a third party and (2) grant to The Sterling Group a transferable, sublicenceable, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive right and license to commercially and publicly use, copyright, display, publish, perform, reproduce, copy, distribute, transmit, alter, make derivatives of, transfer, license, market, sell, and otherwise exploit the Feedback. The Sterling Group is under no obligation of confidentiality, express or implied, with respect to the Feedback.
Use Outside of the United States
- The United States controls the export of products and information. You agree to comply with such restrictions and not to export or re-export Content to countries or persons prohibited under the export control laws. By accessing and/or downloading any Content, you are agreeing that you are not in a country where such export is prohibited or are a person or entity to which such export is prohibited. You are responsible for compliance with the laws of your local jurisdiction regarding the import, export, or re-export of any controlled products or information.
Warranties, Disclaimers, Limitations of Liability and Indemnification
- Your use of the Academy Connect Site and its Content is at your own discretion and risk, including downloading, viewing, or otherwise obtaining any Content. You will be solely responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your access or use of the Academy Connect Site and/or its Content, including but not limited to any damage to your computer or device, loss of data, from viruses, or other harm. The Academy Connect Site, including all Content, is made available to you on an “as is” and “as available” basis. You acknowledge and agree that The Sterling Group is not responsible for any third party action or inaction that affects your use of the Academy Connect Site.
- The Sterling Group makes no warranties, representations, or conditions of any kind, including as to (1) the functionality of the Academy Connect Site or its Content, including whether the Academy Connect Site or its Content will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free, or whether any errors will be corrected, (2) whether the Academy Connect Site or its Content will meet your requirements or expectations, (3) the accuracy, reliability, integrity, quality, legality, usefulness, or safety of the Academy Connect Site or its Content, or (4) the products and services associated with the Academy Connect Site or its Content.
- The Sterling Group disclaims all liability, and you expressly understand and agree that The Sterling Group is not liable, for (1) direct, indirect, special, incidental, punitive, exemplary, reliance, or consequential damages, (2) loss of profits, (3) business interruption, (4) loss of or damage to reputation or goodwill, (5) loss of information or data, or (6) other loss or damage arising out of your use of the Academy Connect Site or its Content, even if The Sterling Group has been advised of the possibility of such liability or damages. You will be solely responsible for any loss or damage resulting from your use of the Academy Connect Site and/or its Content, including but not limited to any loss of data or damage to your computer or other device from viruses that may be downloaded to such devices in the course of using the Academy Connect Site.
- The Sterling Group disclaims all liability for any loss or damage arising out of your communications or dealings with any of the businesses, advertisers, or other Users on the Academy Connect Site.
- You consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States.
- The Sterling Groupmakes no claims that the Content on the Academy Connect Site is appropriate or may be downloaded outside of the United States.
- Waiver of any breach will not be construed to be a waiver of any other breach. All waivers must be in writing, and signed by the party waiving its rights.